Sunday 20 May 2012

Knowing when not to practice

I've had a stinking cold for 3 days now, I haven't been able to practice as I haven't been able to breathe through my nose. I've been like one of the "mouth breathers" my yoga teacher Paul says you find walking round Poundland on a Saturday afternoon, no bandha on, with their mouth constantly open!!

I've been miserable as I haven't practiced since Thursday and that wasn't even a full practice. This morning I woke up and thought I'd shower to see if that would steam my nostrils open so I could get to Ben's self-practice class at Stone Monkey. But it didn't work, neither did the 4 Sudafed I took a little later on. I'm still blocked up and still miserable, my head thick and pounding. I need to respect my body more when it's not well and know when I really shouldn't be practicing. Luckily tomorrow's a moon day so not practicing tomorrow won't make me feel so bad...

I created a spreadsheet to track how much money I can save in the next year to go on my yoga travels. It's got all my expenditure on, including my yoga classes. 134 quid on yoga classes every 4 weeks! Crazy....it's more than I spend on food. One or two are going to have to give. More home practice. It should be easier now the warmer weather and lighter mornings are here. I'm waking up at 5 most mornings anyway, quite easily. I even meditated two mornings last week as soon as I woke up. It was luxury! Vipassana meditation is so much easier first thing in the morning. The only sounds around are the birds and my neighbour who gets up at 5:30am. It was easy to focus and really go within. 

I'm starting a new class on Thursday so I hope that I am well by then. It's a beginner's intro to self-practice, half led instruction, half self practice and mini workshops. I hope it works, I have no clear plan as of yet. No structure as such, but will just start with surya namaskara A, seems most appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment